RYLA District 6970 is looking for strong leaders to mentor and inspire upcoming RYLArians. The details below review how you can apply to be part of our 2020 RYLA Staff.
Please note that our District’s RYLA may be still be canceled due to the Coronavirus. Click here to view our response to COVID-19.
Do you qualify to be a Junior Counselor or Counselor?
There are several qualifications you must meet to be a Junior Counselor or Counselor of RYLA District 6970. We have listed the criteria in a general form as well as specific for each position. Before applying, you need to determine which qualifications best match you. Please carefully read through the below.
- Must be able to attend the mandatory staff training on Wednesday, June 10, 2020, in DeLand, Florida.
- Must be able to provide your transportation.
- Must be available to attend the ENTIRE conference.
- Must adhere to RYLA rules and regulations, as well as sign position expectations form.
- Must conduct themselves respectably and professionally at all times.
- You must be able to pass a background check.
Additional Junior Counselor Qualifications:
- Must be at least an upcoming senior in high school
- Must have attended RYLA.
Additional Counselor Qualifications:
- Must be at least an upcoming junior in college or at least 21 years of age.
- Must be or have been affiliated with Rotary, Rotaract, RYLA, or Youth Exchange, etc. in some way.
Please know this selection process is extremely competitive due to a limited number of positions available.
The application process includes two parts:
- Fill out the appropriate application.
- Create and submit a video testimonial.
We ask that you send a video (approximately 2-minutes long) along with your application answering the questions:
- What is your Rotary story?
- Are you a child of a Rotarian?
- Did you start in Interact, or did RYLA spark your interest in the world of Rotary?
- How has Rotary made a difference in your life and those around you?
- How has Rotary enabled you to inspire others and impact positive change?
- Anything else you would like to share.
Note: You can incorporate the answers provided in your application.
- Be mindful of the length of your video
- Shoot the video in landscape mode (see video)
- Be aware of background noise and lightning
- If you are reading from a script you wrote, make sure it is eye level with your camera.
- Make sure your camera is affixed and not being held by your hand, as it may cause the screen to be shaky.
- Keep the material professional, but personable (we may use it for future marketing)
- It’s OK if you want to wear your favorite RYLA shirt
- Have fun and be creative!
Video submission can be attached to your application or emailed directly to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Be sure to include your name in the subject line.
A committee will make junior Counselor and Counselor selections based on your application AND video submission.
Note: Potentially, a phone interview may be required. Applications without video submissions will not be considered.
The application deadline is April 5, 2020, at midnight!
Important Dates for 2020 RYLA Staff
- Mandatory staff training on Wednesday, June 12, 2020.
- The 2020 RYLA conference will run from Thursday, June 11 to Sunday, June 14.