RYLA District 6970 is looking for strong leaders to mentor and inspire upcoming RYLArians.
Do you qualify to be a Junior Counselor or Counselor?
There are several qualifications you must meet to be a Junior Counselor or Counselor of RYLA District 6970. We have listed the criteria in general form as well as specific for each position. Before applying, you need to determine which qualifications best match you. Please carefully read through the below.
- Must be able to attend the mandatory staff training on Wednesday, June 12, 2019, in DeLand, Florida.
- Must be able to provide your transportation.
- If still in school, must have a 2.5 GPA.
- Must be available to attend the ENTIRE conference.
- Must adhere to RYLA rules and regulations, as well as sign position expectations form.
- Must conduct themselves respectably and professionally at all times.
- If over the age of 18, you must be able to pass a background check.
Additional Junior Counselor Qualifications:
- Must be at least an upcoming senior in high school
- Must have attended RYLA.
Additional Counselor Qualifications:
- Must be at least an upcoming junior in college or at least 21 years of age.
- Must be or have been affiliated with Rotary, Rotaract, RYLA, Youth Exchange, etc. in some way.
Please know this selection process is extremely competitive due to a limited number of positions available.
The application process includes two parts:
- Fill out the appropriate application
- Create and submit a video testimonial
We ask that you send a video (approximately 2-minutes long) along with your application answering the questions:
- What is your Rotary story? Are you a child of a Rotarian? Did you start off in Interact or did RYLA spark your interest in the world of Rotary?
- How has Rotary made a difference in your life and those around you?
- How has Rotary enabled you to inspire others and impact positive change?
- What inspires you? How do you plan on being an inspiration this year?
Note: You can incorporate the answers provided in your application.
- Be mindful of the length of your video
- Shoot the video in landscape mode (see video)
- Be aware of background noise and lightning
- If you are reading from a script you wrote, make sure it is eye level with your camera.
- Make sure your camera is affixed and not being held by your hand as it may cause the screen to be shaky.
- Keep the material professional, but personable (we may use it for future marketing)
- It’s OK if you want to wear your favorite RYLA shirt
- Have fun and be creative!
Video submission can be attached to your application or emailed directly to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Be sure to include your name in the subject line.
A committee will make junior Counselor and Counselor selections based on your application AND video submission.
Note: Potentially a phone interview may be required. Applications without video submissions will not be considered.
The application deadline is March 25, 2019, at midnight!
Important Dates for 2019 RYLA Staff
- Mandatory staff training on Wednesday, June 12, 2019.
- The 2019 RYLA conference will run from Thursday, June 13 to Sunday, June 16.